Sunday, July 1, 2007

Quilters Block

The topic this week on Stashbusters is what keeps us from getting things done. I've thought about this quite a bit lately because I found myself not working for the summer and I notice that I get less done than when I was working full-time! But, I think one of my biggest problems is worrying too much about what the receiver of the quilt wants! I know that sounds strange, but I've found that most people you make a quilt for are really not that picky. They're just happy to get a handmade quilt! Also, I think we as quilters tend to be too hard on ourselves and focus on what we perceive to be wrong with a quilt and not enough on what is right with it!

I have been going back and forth with myself all week about making the doll quilt for the swap I signed up for. I've changed my mind about the fabric and pattern many times - worrying that my swap partner won't like it. I had decided on "Calico Spools" from Quilters Cache and the printed pattern has been lying on the counter for days! Anyway, I just saw the same blocks on the Quilting Daze blog on Stashbusters and they were adorable! Perfect for an old-fashioned dolly quilt! So, I guess I just need to move along!

2 comments:

swooze said...

I can't imagine picking bananas from my tree in my yard. How were they??

Yes too hard on ourselves. I am in a round robin and doing my center froze me up. Then adding the row on the first one I received, oh the terror! I am almost done finally. I have the next one to do and already know my plan. Practice, practice, practice! We just have to ignore those doubting voices inside ourselves.

Not Lucy said...

I think you can over 'think' a quilt, worrying whether this is right or maybe that would be better. I have found that usually my first inclination is the best. But sometimes, I get a quilt that I am not that thrilled about and then someone will just marvel at it. Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder! (I have also found that most people who don't make quilts, can't tell a good one from a bad one!)